I just got off the phone with a client and, well, I’m annoyed – to put it lightly.
Every day I go from business to business helping entrepreneurs grow their businesses. And typically, these businesses NEED the growth.
The sad truth is that most businesses are NOT booming. They’re barely breaking even. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t talk to a business owner who makes less than his employees. Or less than they could make doing the same job as an employee elsewhere – plus they’d have zero of the headaches that come with building a kick ass business.
And truthfully, that’s okay. Statistically, some aren’t going to make it, some are going to scrape by, some are going to be average. As much as that’s a bummer, and it’s my goal to change that, it’s a fact of life – and that fact makes being ABOVE average so much better.
But that’s not why I’m annoyed.
I’m very rarely put off. I actually think I’m a pretty easy going guy, but if ever you wanted to annoy me, SAY you want/need to do something, don’t do it, then complain about your lack of results.
Listen, you can’t be upset for the lack of results you did not work for.
These days, it’s cool and hip to shout hustle all day long. I hear it everywhere. Yet, when I take a close look, rarely is anyone hustling.
Back to my phone call this morning…
This client had called me asking for advice to create buzz, activity and marketing around the Halloween festivities to which I gave a handful of detailed ideas.
When I called after to follow up, I was dumbfounded to learn they didn’t do anything. Not one single activity. Halloween came and disappeared just like that – so now what?
It’s essential that you realize that shouting and screaming HUSTLE (or for more conservative folks “work hard”) all day long and actually HUSTLING (i.e. working HARD) is two different things.
Opportunities come and go, and ESPECIALLY in the B2C world, these should be optimized.
So you missed out on Halloween… That sucks… But just to drive my point home, and maybe “rib” you a bit, here’s a few things clients have done:
- A client in the food industry hosted a Halloween night with costume contest, carving contest, free treat bags and a large, 20 foot outdoor screen.
- Multiple clients marked special, custom made Snapchat filters we designed that we’re programmed to only work at their locations and fully branded.
- We had a martial arts studio print out 5 x 3″ Halloween cards with Halloween safety tips on one side, emergency contact info on the other, and branded with their logo. We then distributed 3 thousand of these to local elementary schools, 30 per class.
- Multiple clients gave out coupons with their treats at Halloween
- One client ordered (this was planned months ago) candy with custom labels branded with their brand, and they gave out boxes of these to their clients free of charge to give out at their homes.
- You could also have made branded Halloween bags and give them out ahead of time for kids to use to collect their treats.
- Host a haunted house at your shop
- Hold theme based sales
And the list goes on…
The point is, activity, actual HUSTLING is what matters.
The difference between where you are and where you want to is found in what you DO.
Not what you think.
So, don’t just read this article nodding your head and thinking oh he’s right what a bunch of great ideas! No, instead start planning for November. It’s Mo-Vember, what in the world are YOU going to do?
If you’re stuck on ideas, or aren’t sure how to make sure you make it BIG, shoot me an email and I’ll help at firstname.lastname@example.org
To your success,